Senior Automation & Controls Engineer / Technologist
An Opportunity to join a Team of Driven Professionals
Cogent is seeking an experienced Automation & Controls Engineer to join the business at their corporate office in Richmond, British Columbia. Cogent has a flat organizational structure, you will report directly to the Vice President & General Manager and be responsible for working with clients and designing automation solutions for brownfield modernization and greenfield installation projects. You will prepare technical drafts of engineering scopes and designs control system technical specifications, system architecture drawings, PLC programming, HMI configuration, and network configuration.
To be successful, you will have a strong technical acumen related to PLC/HMI and control network design and deployment, combined with at least eight to ten years of experience in a similar engineering capacity. We are seeking a strong technical professional who shares the values and commitment to corporate social responsibility that guides Cogent. As a technical expert, you will be proactive in remaining current to ensure Cogent remains at the forefront of the latest software and technology.
- Defining, designing, developing, and commissioning plant-wide control systems for industrial projects in North America and globally, ranging from greenfield installations to plant modernizations.
- Designing the control system’s technical specifications (control narratives, functional descriptions), system architecture drawings, PLC programming (Allen-Bradley, Siemens), HMI configuration (Rockwell Software, Wonderware, Ignition).
- Specifying, designing, and configuring plant wide networks for Supervisory and Control Networks including device bussed systems.
- Configure process historians, manage automation database and data structures for network efficiency and IIOT connections.
- Preparing the technical portion of the detailed control engineering scope, inspection and test plans, construction scope of work, and commissioning plans.
- Effectively communicating with project stakeholders to resolve technical issues across all phases of the project.
- Providing construction supervision and leading commissioning and start-up activities during control system implementation.
- Exemplifying a strong commitment to quality and engineering design processes.
- Utilizing project management tools for managing budget, project schedules, and scope of various sized projects
- Providing support to the project management with team scope change requests, and project estimations
- Providing remote and off-hour remote support to clients during system failures or challenges during commissioning phases
- Travel to projects and meet with customers. Travel expectations are project specific and can range from 5% to 25%. The candidate is expected to be comfortable working in a dynamic office environment and will be provided with the necessary technology and support regardless of location.
Previous experience working for a smaller business entity and an ability to easily adapt between engineering and client responsibilities. Additional qualifications include:
- Over eight years of technical experience related to PLC/HMI and control network design, combined with a strong project management acumen.
- Strong analytical acumen and an ability to analyze data designed to improve processes, reduce costs, and increase operating margins.
- Strong troubleshooting skills and an understanding of how control issues effect quality, productively and efficiency
- An up-to-date understanding for innovative technology, global standards and best practices, and the ability to integrate emerging technology into business operations
- In-depth knowledge of PLCs, programming, instrumentation, and process control
- Previous experience in commissioning or plant modernization projects for complex industrial processing plants is an asset
- Project management skills and the ability to review plans and situations, and prioritize key requirements
- Advanced leadership skills and an ability to effectively manage a team of direct and indirect reports while contributing site-based commissioning
- Diploma or undergraduate degree in electrical engineering or related discipline and/or has obtained relevant industry certifications or designations.
- An Ignition Gold Certification considered an asset.
All academic degrees and professional qualifications may be subject to verification.
- Opportunities for advancement
- Extended Health, Dental, Disability, Life Insurance & AD&D after 3 months
- On-site Gym
- Company Events
- On-site parking
Wage Range/Job Type/Schedule:
- Negotiable based on experience
- FT - Permanent
Job Types: Permanent, Full-time
- Company events
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- On-site gym
- On-site parking
- Paid time off
- Vision care
- Monday to Friday
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Richmond, BC V6V 3A1: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- Do you have an Ignition Gold Certification?
- Automation & Controls: 8 years (preferred)
Work Location: In person
Expected start date: 2023-10-16